Thursday, February 5, 2009

Weekly < 30 Min. Recipe #4

Beans make me happy. They are filling and warm and have lots of fiber. My husband makes me sleep on the couch if I eat too many, but then I don't have to hear him snore so I don't mind.


Black Bean Chili

2 Tbs. Olive Oil
1 cup diced onions (buy them pre-chopped)
1 garlic clove pressed (feel free to use more I have a slight allergy to garlic, so even though I love the stuff I have to go easy or my tongue swells)
4 tsps. chili powder
2 tsps. cumin powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon (trust me)
3 cans 15 (or 15.5 oz) cans black beans, drained
2 cans 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes in juice
dashes of Tabasco to taste
hefty scoop of Fat Free sour cream
chopped fresh cilantro if you have it


Heat oil over med-high heat in large saucepan and add onions. Saute 5 min., mix in garlic and spices and then add beans and tomatoes. Simmer at least 15 minutes. Top with sour cream and cilantro if you want, resist the cheese!

One large cup of black bean chili is 2.5 points. Check the label on your fat free sour cream but the brand I use is zero points for one serving. That would be Naturally Yours Fat Free Sour Cream. So if you want you could add some grated cheese, let's say you use 1 oz. cheddar-colby mix which would be 1.5 points, that would bump up the total points to 4 points. Add a lite beer and you are still only at 6 points. Party on!

No comments: